Bikers Beware

It’s always the most ordinary of days that have the greatest influence on your life. After a very long, cold winter, we finally had a beautiful day for taking the bike out in early April. Detroit isn’t the best area for the long, rolling hills I was looking for after being cooped up all winter long, so I headed west toward Ann Arbor and spent the day enjoying the wind on my face and taking in the first signs of spring. 

It wasn’t until I was on my way back that the weather changed. It started to sprinkle at first and then out of nowhere began to downpour. I hit I-96 and was only 10 minutes from making it home safely when I noticed this blue SUV weaving in and out of traffic in my rear view mirror. 

Everything happened so fast, but also in slow motion. I was riding at around 60 mph when the SUV began to follow me very closely. When I attempted to move into the other lane so they could pass, so did the SUV, accelerating to a much higher speed than the rate I was traveling. 

The driver ended up hitting me from behind, and I was flung more than 100 feet forward from the impact. The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital. It turns out I had been placed into a medically induced coma because the swelling in my brain was so bad. I suffered from a severe brain hemorrhage that left me paralyzed on the entire right side of my body.

My family spent the next few weeks looking for a motorcycle accident attorney in Detroit who could help us make sure that the driver of the SUV was held accountable, but it turned out that the guy had driven away from the scene, and bystanders had to call an ambulance for me. After a couple of months had passed, the police had still been unable to locate the driver who ruined my life.

With half of my body unable to function, not only can I no longer ride my motorcycle, but I require around the clock health care. My wife has had to give up her job to support me, I can no longer work at the warehouse I had spent more than 20 years supervising, and I’m essentially bedridden.

My doctors say that with more physical therapy, I may be able to walk again some day, but that won’t be possible for at least a few years. I hope that once the police find the driver of the SUV, I’ll be able to get justice, but in the meantime, I have to constantly remind myself to count my blessings. 

I am alive.